Women in Medicine and Science at Upstate: Patricia J. Numann MD FACS
Patricia J. Numann MD FACS
Patricia Joy Numann is a 1965 graduate of Upstate Medical University and a career long member of the department of surgery (combined internship in medicine and surgery 1965-1966, general surgery resident 1966-1970, assistant professor of surgery 1970-1975, associate professor of surgery 1975-1989, professor of surgery 1989-2007). She also served as associate dean of the College of Medicine from 1978-1984 and associate dean for clinical affairs for the College of Medicine from 1989-1994. Dr. Numann held the title of Lloyd S. Rogers Professor of Surgery from 2000-2007. She has been highly regarded by students and was often asked to serve as faculty marshal or to deliver the Oath of Hippocrates during commencement. She was awarded the Distinguished Teacher Award (1983) and the President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching (1990) from Upstate.
Dr. Numann held surgical appointments as attending surgeon at Upstate from 1989-2007, was a staff surgeon at the Veteran’s Affairs Hospital from 1970-2007 and was a consulting surgeon at Crouse-Irving Memorial Hospital from 1970-2006. She was medical director of Upstate University Hospital from 1997-2007. Dr. Numann’s clinical interests have focused on breast disease and thyroid and parathyroid diseases. The Patricia J. Numann Breast & Endocrine Surgery Center at Upstate (2007) was the result of her commitment to the study and treatment of these conditions in women.
Dr. Numann became a fellow of the American College of Surgeons in 1974 and has been an active member. She was the second woman elected to serve as president of the ACS in 2011, after having been the first woman to serve as a second vice president from 1999-2000. She became director of the ACS Fundamentals of Surgery Curriculum in 2003. She also served on the Board of Regents Communications Committee (1999-2000); Graduate Medical Education Committee (1992-1994); Committee on Surgical Education in Medical Schools (1986-1996); Advisory Council for General Surgery (1999-2002); Nominations Committee of Fellows (1992-1994; chair 1994-1995); and on several Surgical Education and Self-Assessment Program Committees beginning in 1976. She was recognized for her service to the ACS in 2006 when she was the recipient of their highest honor, The Distinguished Service Award.
Dr. Numann was also the first woman to serve as chair of the American Board of Surgery (1994-2002) and was made vice president of the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons in 1992. She was a founding member and president (1985-1986) of the Association for Surgical Education. She also founded the Association of Women Surgeons (1982); that organization subsequently made her president from 1986-1987 and awarded her the Nina Starr Braunwald Award in 1998. Dr. Numann has been the recipient of numerous other honors and awards including the New York State Woman of Distinction in Medicine Award (1994) and the Susan G. Kohman Breast Cancer Foundation Distinguished Service Award (2001). She was named Humanitarian of the Year by the Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Fund of CNY, Inc. in 2003. She was included in the National Library of Medicine's "Changing the Face of Medicine" in the Local Legend category and was inducted into the International Women Physicians Hall of Fame.
Dr. Numann became professor emeritus at Upstate in 2007. In 2009, Upstate created its first endowed chair named for a women “in honor of her life’s work and outstanding dedication”. The Patricia J. Numann, MD, Chair of Surgery was fully endowed in 2017.
Biographical Information on Patricia J. Numann MD FACS
Videos Featuring Patricia J. Numann MD FACS
Other Information Related to Patricia J. Numann MD FACS
- Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Book Chapters
- Reports from Council on Scientific Affairs of the AMA
- CSA Reports - Other Journals
- Papers of the Bioethics Committee, Medical Society of NYS
1. Schroeder ET, Numann PJ, Chamberlain BE: Functional renal failure after portacaval shunt. Ann Int Med 72:923-928, 1970.
2. Moses AM, Numann PJ, Miller M: Mechanisms of chlorpropamide-induced antidiuresis in man: Evidence for release of ADH and enhancement of peripheral action. Metabolism 22:59-66, 1973.
3. Numann PJ, Moses AM: Altered action of parathyroid hormone by Chlorpropamide. Surgery. 75:869-873, 1974.
4. Numann PJ, Breslau N, Rao KJ, Coulson R, Moses AM: Chlorpropamide-induced inhibition of serum calcium, urinary calcium, and cyclic AMP responses to parathyroid hormone. Surg Forum 26:190-192,1975.
5. Numann PJ, Aust J: Details of technique and results of staging laparotomy in the diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease. The American Surgeon 44 (1), March, 1978.
6. Numann PJ, Breslau N, Moses AM: Chlorpropamide-induced changes in
patients with hyperparathyroidism. Surgery 85:196, February, 1979.
7. Numann PJ: The computerized student examination. Journal of Surgical Research, 26:249-254, 1979.
8. Gurll NJ, Holcroft JW, Numann PJ, Reynolds DG, Rhodes RH, Saik RP, Thomas RT: The Veterans Administration and Academic Surgery: Past, Present and Future. A Report from the Committee on Issues of the Association for Academic Surgery 1979 Meeting. J. Surg. Res. 33(1):1-10, 1982.
9. Rhodes RS, Levine BA, Miller TA, Neiderhuber JE, Numann PJ, O'Donnell TF, Saik RP, Zarins CK: The Impact of Emergency Medicine on Surgical Care in the Emergency Ward. J. Surg. Res. 33:457-462, 1982.
10. Numann PJ, Grover PL: The First Years - essays on stress and coping in Medical School, State University of New York, Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse, NY, December, 1982.
11. Spring-Mills E, Stearns SB, Smith PH, Numann PJ, Ginsberg SJ: Immuno-reactive Hormones in Human Breast Carcinomas. Surgery, 94:946-, 1950, 1983.
12. Lefor AT, Numann PJ, Levinsohn M: Needle Localization of Occult Breast Lesions. Am. J. Surg., 148:270-274, 1984.
13. Numann PJ, Spring-Mills E, Stearns SB: Immunocytochemical localization of somatosmatin-like material in human breast tumors. Life Sciences, 35:185-190, 1984.
14. Numann PJ, Editor: Examination items for the Surgical Clerkship. Assoc. Surg. Ed., 1984.
15. Numann PJ, Torppa AJ, Blumetti AE: Neuropsychological Deficits Associated with Hyperparathyroidism Surgery. Surgery 96:119-1123, 1984.
16. Goldman, MJ, Numann, PJ, Smith, T: Metastasis to the Choroid of the Eye from Carcinoma of the Breast. Archives of Surgery, 1986.
17. Numann, PJ: "Academic Medicine as a Career". The New Physician 35(5)35-36, July-August, 1986.
18. Numann PJ: Surgery as a Career. Career Choices for Women in Medicine, Vol. 1, 2nd Ed., pg. 12-14, 1986.
19. Kozol RA, Numann PJ: Surgery for thyroid cancer: Recommendations versus reality. J Connecticut State Med Soc. 51(10):643-644, 1987.
20. Numann PJ: Our greatest failure. Am. J. Surg. 155(2):212-215, 1988.
21. Levinsohn EM, Numann PA, Groskin SA: Computed tomography in Perioperative localization of occult breast cancer. Breast Dis. 1:77-81, 1988.
22. Numann PJ, Lefor A: Carcinoma of the Breast in Men. New York State J. of Med. 88(6), 1988.
23. Badawy SZA, Freedman L, Numann PJ, Bonaventura M, Kim S: Diagnosis and Management of Intestinal Endometriosis. J. Reproductive Med. 3:851, 1988.
24. Scalzetti EM, Levinsohn EM, Numann PJ, Bassano DA: Vertebral mineralization after parathyroidectomy: Measurement by quantitative CT. Amer. J. Roentgen 151:533-535, 1988.
25. Meguid M, Numann PJ, et al: Pathogenesis-Based Treatment of Recurring Subareolar Breast Abscesses. Surgery 118(4):775-782, Oct. 1995.
26. Chung CT, Tassiopoulos A, Numann PJ: Increased Risk of Breast Cancer in Splenectomized Patients Undergoing Radiation Therapy for Hodgkin’s Disease. Accepted in International J Rad, Onc, Bio, and Physics 37(2):405-409, Sept. 1996.
27. Barbagallo J, Streeten DHP, Numann PJ, et al. Hypokalemia in a Patient with Pheochromocytoma. Endocrine Practice 2:326-329, 1996.
28. Khan SA, Rogers MAM, Khurana KK, Meguid MM, Numann P: Estrogen Receptor Expression in Benign Breast Epithelium and Breast Cancer Risk. J National Cancer Institute 90:1, 1998
29. Kort K, Schiller H, Numann P: Hyperparathyroidism and Pregnancy. Am J of Surgery 177:66-68, 1998.
30. Khan SA, Naim S, Meguid MM, Marx W, Simon H, Halverson JD, Numann, PJ: The Normal Breast Epithelium of Women with Breast Cancer Displays an Aberrant Response to Estradiol. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention 8:867-872, 1999.
31. Numann PJ: Endocrine Surgery. J Am Coll Surgeons 190:(2):129-133, 1999.
32. Khurana KK,Loosman A, Numann PJ, Khan SA. Prophylactic Mastectomy: Pathological Findings in High-Risk patients. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. 124(3): 378-81, 2000
33. Numann PJ: Breast Cancer During Pregnancy. Invited Commentary Archives of Surgery, Volume 138, Number 1, 99, 2003
34. Nakhla H, Chandan VS, Numann PJ, Landas SK: Pathologic quiz case: a 75-year-old woman with a breast lump. Cystic carcinoma of the breast. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2003 Dec;127 (12):E436-7.
35. Numann PJ: Editorial XX vs XY The International Journal of Sex Differences in the Study of Health, Disease and Aging, “Sex Differences in the Prevalence of Postoperative Tetany in Grave’s Disease” June 2004.
36. Numann PJ, Moderator: “Symposium on Benign Thyroid Disease”, Contemporary Surgery, January 2004
37. Zimmerman P; DaSilva M; Kort K; Cico L; Izquierdo R; Numann P. “Intraoperative Needle Localization During Neck Reexploration”. American Journal of Surgery, 188(1):92-3, July 2004
38. Numann PJ, Editorial, “See One, Do One, Teach One”, Contemporary Surgery, April 2004.
39. Numann PJ, Invited Critique, Archives of Surgery, Oct 2005.
40. Numann PJ, Tribute to Claude H. Organ, Jr. MD, Archives of Surgery, , 2005.
41. Roberto Izquierdo, Mona Arekat, Paul E. Knudson, Karen Kartun, Kamal Khurana, Kara Kort, Patricia Numann “Palpation vs US-Guided FNAB of Thyroid Nodules”, Endocrine Practice, 12(6):609-14,2006.
42. Numann PJ, Invited Review of “A Profile of Female Academic General Surgeons: Credentials, Training and Types of Practice”, American Journal of Surgery, 72(12):1160 2006
43. Risucci D, NumannP, Welling R, Pfingsten M, Blair P, and Sachdeva A. “Reactions of Surgical Program Directors to a Web Based Interactive Educational Program Focusing on Cognitive Skills, Journal of Surgical Education ,65(6)470-475,2008.
1. Spring-Mills E, Brophy M, Numann PJ: The Mammary Glands. IN: Hafez Ese, Kenemans , Atlas of Human Reproduction by Scanning Electron Microscopy, Lancaster, England, MTP Press, 1982:159-168.
2. Numann PJ: Management of Common Skin Soft Tissue Trauma. IN: Lawrence Ped, Essentials of Surgery, 1st Ed., Williams and Wilkins, 1988:110-115 and 2nd Ed. 1992:127-132
3. Numann PJ: Assoc. Editor. Study Question. IN: Essentials of Surgery - Educational Packet, September, 1988 and 2nd Edition, 1992.
4. Numann, PJ: Addison’s Disease and Acute Adrenal Hemorrhage. IN: Clark OH, Duh, Q ed, Textbook of Endocrine Surgery, First Edition1997:523-528.
5. Meguid M, Oler A, Numann PJ: Management of Subareolar Breast Abscess. IN: Bland KI, Copeland EM eds. The Breast: Comprehensive Management of Benign and Malignant Disease, 1st ed., W.B. Saunders, 1998:109-152.
6. Meguid M, Oler A, Numann PJ: Management of Subareolar Breast Abscess. IN: Bland KI, Copeland EM eds. The Breast: Comprehensive Management of Benign and Malignant Disease, 2nd ed., W.B. Saunders, 1998:109-152.
7. Finck C, Meguid M, Numann PJ: Diagnosis and Management of Breast Disease. IN: Badawy SA (ed.), Clinical Management of Perimenopausal Women, Arnold 1999:77-93.
8. Meguid M, Oler A, Numann PJ: Management of Subareolar Breast Abscess. IN: Bland KI, Copeland EM eds. The Breast: Comprehensive Management of Benign and Malignant Disease, Third Edition., W.B. Saunders, 2003.
9. Numann, PJ: Addison’s Disease and Acute Adrenal Hemorrhage. IN: Clark OH, Duh, Q ed, Textbook of Endocrine Surgery, 2nd edition, 2004,
10. Meguid M, Oler A, Kort K, Numann PJ: Management of Subareolar Breast Abscess. IN: Bland KI, Copeland EM eds. The Breast: Comprehensive Management of Benign and Malignant Disease, Third Edition., W.B. Saunders, 2009.
1. Moses AM, Numann PJ, Friedman R, Miller M: Dual antidiuretic actions of chlorpropamide in man. Endocrine Society, June 24-26, 1971, San Francisco.
2. Numann PJ, Coulson R, Moses AM: Chlorpropamide-induced inhibition of the action of parathyroid hormone. American Society for Clinical, Investigation, May 5-6, 1974, Atlantic City, NJ.
3. Moses AM, Coulson R, Numann PJ: Influence of Chlorpropamide on the response to parathyroid hormone. 2nd International Conference on Cyclic AMP, July 8-19, 1974. Vancouver, British Columbia.
4. Numann PJ, Breslau N, Rao KJ, Coulson R, Moses AM: Chlorpropamide-induced inhibition of the serum calcium, urinary calcium, and cyclic AMP responses to parathyroid hormone in man. Endocrine Society, June 18-20, 1975. New York.
5. Numann PJ, Breslau N, Rao KJ, Coulson R, Moses AM: Chlorpropamide induced inhibition of the serum calcium, urinary calcium, and cyclic AMP responses to parathyroid hormone. Surgical Forum, 1975.
6. Spring-Mills E, Brophy M, Numann PJ: Scanning electron microscopic observations of normal and abnormal human breast tissues. International Society of Electron Microscopists, Symposium, Human Reproduction in Three Dimensions. Sept. 13-16, 1981, University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands.
7. Numann PJ: Carcinoid Syndrome. National Cancer Institute Symposium on Hepatic Metastasis. Leiden, Netherlands, May 1984.
8. Spring-Mills E, Stearns SB, Numann PJ: The Effect of Hormones on Human Breast Carcinomas in Explant Culture. American/Canadian Association of Anatomists, Toronto, 1985.
9. Spring-Mills E, Stearns SB, Numann PJ: Behavior of Human Breast Carcinomas in Vitro. The Endocrine Society, 1986.
10. Khan SA, Numann PJ, Meguid MM, Simon H: Estrogen and Progesterone Receptor Expression of Benign Breast Epithelium. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1991, 19 (2):197 Abstract
11. Khan SA, Coleman MJ, Numann PJ, Meguid MM, Halverson JD, Simon H: Estrogen Receptor Positive Breast Epithelium As A Risk Factor for Breast Cancer. 15th Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, December 9-10, 1992.
12. Khan SA, Meguid MM, Numann PJ, Simon HS, Halverson JD: A Comparative Study of Estrogen and Progesterone Receptor Expression in Breast Carcinoma and Benign Breast Epithelium. The Society of Surgical Oncology, 1993 Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA March 18-21, 1993.
13. Khan SA, Meguid MM, Numann PJ: Estrogen receptors in benign breast epithelium and breast cancer risk. 19th Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, June 1996.
14. Loosman A, Khan S, Numann PJ: Prophylactic mastectomy: Pathologic findings in high risk women, Society of Surgical Oncology, Sept. 1996.Khurana K, Numann PJ, Izquierdo R: Follow up of Non-Diagnostic Fine-Needle Aspiration of the Thyroid, American Society of Cytopathology, Kansas City, MO, November 2001.
15 Kort KC, Numann PJ: Value of Thyroid Scintigraphy in the ERA of Cost Containment. Association for Academic Surgery, 38th Annual Meeting in Houston, TX, November 2004.
- American College of Surgeons, Scientific Exhibits - Fitzgerald, MA and Numann, P: Duodenoscopic Sphincterotomy. October 1978.
1. Lasers in Medicine and Surgery. JAMA 256(7):900-907, August 15, 1986.
2. Dementia. JAMA 256(16):2234-2238, October 24, 1986.AMA CSA Reports: (continued)
3. Autologous Blood Transfusions. JAMA 256(17):2378-2380, November 7, 1986.
4. Radioepidemiological Tables. JAMA 257:806-807, February 13, 1987.
5. Elder Abuse and Neglect. JAMA 257(7):966-971, February 20, 1987.
6. Health Effects of Video Display Terminals. JAMA 257:1508-1512, March 20, 1987.
7. Preventing Death and Injury from Fires with Automatic Sprinklers and Smoke Detectors. JAMA 257:1618-1620, March 27, 1987.
8. Introduction to the Management of Immunosuppression. JAMA 257:1781-1785, April 3, 1987.
9. Results of Implications of the AMA-APA Physician Mortality Project. JAMA 257:2949-2953, June 5, 1987.
10. Scientific Issues in Drug Testing. JAMA 257:3110-3114, June 12, 1987.
11. Autopsy - A Comprehensive Review of Current Issues. JAMA 258:364-369, July 17, 1987.
12. Radon in Homes. JAMA 258:668-673, August 7, 1987.
13. In Vitro Tests for Allergy. JAMA 258:1639-1644, September 25, 1987.
14. Issues in Employee Drug Testing. JAMA 258:2089-2096, October 15, 1987.
15. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Cardiovascular System. JAMA 259:253-259, January 8, 1988.
16. Report of the Organ Transplant Panel: Corneal Transplantation. JAMA 259:719-722, February 5, 1988.
17. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Central Nervous System. JAMA 259:1211-1222, February 26, 1988.
18. Instrumentation in Positron Emission Tomography. JAMA 259:1211-1222, February 26, 1988.
19. Drug Abuse in Athletes: Anabolic Steroids and Human Growth Hormone. JAMA 269:1854-1860, March 25, 1988.
20. Cyclotrons and Radiopharmaceuticals in Positron Emission Tomography. JAMA 259:1854-1860, March 25, 1988.
21. Positron Emission Tomography in Oncology. JAMA 259:2126-2131, April 8, 1988. 22. Application of Positron Emission Tomography in the Heart. JAMA 259:2438-2445, April 22, 1988.
23. Cancer Risk of Pesticides. JAMA 260:959-966, August 19, 1988.
24. Treatment of Obesity in Adults. JAMA 260:2547-2551, November 4, 1988.
25. Positron Emission Tomography - New Approach to Brain Chemistry. JAMA 260:2704-2710, November 11, 1988.
26. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Head and Neck Region. JAMA 260:3313-3326, December 9, 1988.
27. Evaluation of the Health Hazard of Clove Cigarettes. JAMA 260:3641-3644, December 23, 1988.
28. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Abdomen and Pelvis. JAMA 261:420-433, January 20, 1989.
29. Formaldehyde. JAMA 261:1183-1187, February 24, 1989.
30. Providing Medical Services Through School-Based Health Programs. JAMA 261:1939-1942, April 7, 1989.
31. Dyslexia. JAMA 261:2236-2239, April 21, 1989.
32. Mammographic Screening in Asymptomatic Women Aged 40 Years and Older. JAMA 261:2535-2542, May 5, 1989.
33. Animals in Research. JAMA 261:3602-3606, June 23, 1989.
34. Harmful Effects of Ultraviolet Radiation. JAMA 262:380-384, July 21, 1989.
35. Dietary Fiber and Health. JAMA 262:542-546, July 28, 1989.
36. Low-Level Radioactive Wastes. JAMA 262:669-674, August 4, 1989.
37 Health Care Needs of Homeless and Runaway Youth. JAMA 262:1358-1361, September 8, 1989.
38. Quality Assurance in Cervical Cytology the Papanicolaou Smear. JAMA 262:1672-1679, September 22, 1989.
39. Infectious Medical Wastes. JAMA 262:1669-1671, September 22, 1989.
40. Musculoskeletal Applications of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. JAMA 262:2420-2427, November 3, 1989.
41. Medical Perspective on Nuclear Power. JAMA 262:2724-2729.
42. Persistent Vegetative State and the Decision to Withdraw or Withhold Life Support. JAMA 263:426-430, January 19, 1990.
43. Medical Applications of Fetal Tissue Transplantation. JAMA 263:565-570, January 26, 1990.
44. Saturated Fatty Acids in Vegetable Oils. JAMA 263:693-695, February 2, 1990.
45. Health Status of Detained and Incarcerated Youths. JAMA 263:987-991, February 16, 1990.
46. Home Care in the 1990's. JAMA 263:1241-1244, March 2, 1990.
47. Education for Health. A Role for Physicians and the Efficacy of Health Education Efforts. JAMA 263:1816-1819, April 4, 1990.
48. Conflicts of Interest in Medical Center/Industry Research Relationships. JAMA 263:2790-2793, Mary 23, 1990.
49. The Institute of Medicine Report and Public Health. JAMA 263:2790-2793, May 23, 1990.
50. The Worldwide Smoking Epidemic. Tobacco Trade, Use, and Control. JAMA 263:3312-3318, June 27, 1990. 51. A Permanent US-Mexico Border Environmental Health Commission. JAMA 263:3319-3321, June 27, 1990.
52. Medical and Non-medical Uses of Anabolic-Androgenic Steroids. JAMA 264:2923-2927, December 12, 1990.
53. Hispanic Health in the United States. JAMA 265:248-252, January 9, 1991.
54. Educating Physicians in Home Health Care. JAMA 265:769-771
55. Medical Diagnostic Ultrasound Instrumentation and Clinical Interpretation. JAMA 265(9): 1155-1159, March 6, 1991.
56. Biotechnology and the American Agricultural Industry. JAMA 265(11): 1426-1428, March 20, 1991.
57. Ultrasonic Imaging of the Abdomen. JAMA 265(13):1726-1731, April 3, 1991.
58. Doppler Sonographic Imaging of the Vascular System. JAMA 265(18):2382-2387, May 8, 1991.
59. Gynecologic Sonography. JAMA 265(21):2851-2855, June 5, 1991.
60. The Future of Ultrasonography. JAMA 266(3):406-409, July 17, 1991.
61. Asbestos Removal, Health Hazards, and the EPA. JAMA 266(5):696-697, August 7, 1991.
62. Use of Animals in Medical Education. JAMA 266(6):836-837, August 14, 1991.
63. Assault Weapons. JAMA 267(22):3067-3070, June 10, 1992.
64. Violence Against Women. JAMA 267(23):3184-3189, June 17, 1992.
65. Induced Termination of Pregnancy Before and After Roe v Wade: Trends in the Mortality and Morbidity of Women. JAMA 268(22):3231-3239, 12/9/92.
66. Clinical Ecology. JAMA 268:24:3465-3467. December 20/30, 1992.
67. Physicians and Family Care givers: A Model for Partnership. JAMA 269:10:1282-1284. March 10, 1993.
68. Confidential Health Services for Adolescents. JAMA 269:11:1420-1424. March 17, 1993.
69. The Use of Pulse Oximetry During Conscious Sedation. JAMA 270:12:1463-1468. September 22/29, 1993.
70. Adolescents as Victims of Family Violence. JAMA 270:15:1850-1856, October 20, 1993.
71. Silicone Gel Breast Implants. JAMA 270:21:2602-2606. December 1, 1993.
72. Helmets and Preventing Motorcycle and Bicycle-Related Injuries. JAMA 272:19:1535-1538. November 16, 1994.
73. Dehydration: Evaluation and Management of Older Adults. JAMA 274:19:15521556. November 15, 1995.
74. Female Genital Mutilation. JAMA 274:21:1649-1740.
75. Good Care of the Dying Patient. JAMA 275:6:474-478. February 14, 1996.
76. Alcoholism in the Elderly. JAMA 275:10:797-801. March 13, 1996.
77. Health Care Needs of the Gay Men and Lesbians in the U.S. JAMA 275:17:1354-1359.
1. Medical Informatics. J. Med Systems. 14:4:161-179, 1990.
2. AMA White Paper on Elderly Health. Archive Int. Med. 150:2459-2472, December 1990.
3. Societal Effects and Other Factors Affecting Health Care for the Elderly. Archives Int. Med. 150:1184-1189, July 1991.
4. Health Effects of Radon Exposure. Arc. Int. Med. 15L: 674-677. April 1991.
5. Ultrasound: Heart. Arch. Int. Med. 151:1288-1294, July 1991.
6. Home Total Parenteral Nutrition. Arch. Int. Med.
7. Technology Assessment in Medicine. Arch. Int. Med.
8. Management of Patients with Node-Negative Breast Cancer. Arch. Int. Med.
9. Diet and Cancer. Arch. Int. Med. 153:50-56, January 11, 1993.
10. Ultrasound Evaluation of the Fetus. Am. J Dis. Of Children.
11. Treatment of Depression by Primary Care Physicians: Pharmacological Approaches. Arch. Fam. Med.
12. Co-morbidity of Depression and Physical Illness. Arch. Fam. Med.
13. Treatment of Depression by Primary Care Physicians: Psychotherapeutic Treatments of Depression. Arch Fam. Med.
14. The Etiology of Depression in Adults. Arch. Fam. Med.
15. Food Safety: Federal Inspection Programs. Arch. Fam. Med.
16. Children and Youth with Disabilities. Arch. Fam. Med.
17. Ensuring the Health of the Adolescent Athlete. Arch. Fam. Med. 2:4:446-448.
18. Environmental Tobacco Smoke: Health Effects and Prevention Policies.Arch. Fam. Med. 3:865-871. October 3, 1994.
19. Alternative Psychological Methods in Patient Care. J. Ins. Med.
20. Memories of Childhood Abuse. Intern’l J. Cl. Experimental Hypnosis. 43:(2):114-117. April 1995.
21. Management of Disorders of Cholesterol, Triglyceride, and Lipoprotein Metabolism. Arch. Fam. Med. 4:869-878. October 1995.
1. Rosner F, Cassell EJ, Friedland ML, Landolt AB, Loeb L, Numann PJ,Ora FV, Risenberg HM, Sordillo PP: Ethical considerations of reproductive technologies. New York J. Med. 87(7):398-401, 1987.
2. Rosner F, Risemberg HM, Numann PJ, et al. The anencephalic fetus and newborn as organ donors. NYS J. Med. 88(7):360-366, 1988.
3. Rosner F, Bennett AJ, Cassell EJ, Farnsworth PB, Landolt AB, Loeb L, Numann PJ, Ona, FV, Risemberg HM, Sechzer PH and Sordillo PP: Fetal therapy and surgery; Fetal rights versus maternal obligations. NYS. J. Med. 89:80-84, 1989.
4. Rosner F, Numann PJ, et al. Animal experimentation for medical research. NYS. J. Med. 89:671-676, December, 1989.
5. Rosner F, Numann P, et al. The allocation of scarce medical resources. NYS. J. Med. 90:552-558, 1990.
6. Rosner F, Numann PJ, et al. Physician involvement in capital punishment. NYS. J. Med. 91(1):15-18, 1991.
7. Rosner F, Numann PJ, et al. The ethics of using scientific data obtained by immoral means. NYS. J. Med. 91(2):54-59, 1991.
8. Rosner F, Numann PJ, et al. Illicit drug use should not be legalized. NYS. J. Med. 92(2):59-62, 1992.
9. Rosner F, Numann PJ, et al. Ethical considerations concerning the HIV positive physician. NYS. J. Med. 92(4):151-155, 1992.
10 Rosner F, Numann PJ, et al. Physician-assisted suicide. NYS. J. Med. 92(9):388-391, 1992.
11 Rosner F, Numann PJ, et al. Medical futility. NYS. J. Med. 92(11):485-488, November 1992.
12. Rosner F, Numann PJ, et al. Fetal tissue research and transplantation. NYS. J. Med. 93(3):174-177, March 1993.